This morning I attended the monthly Justice for Immigrants meeting at the USCCB, mostly because I wanted to be part of the "immigration-foreign aid legislation" conversation that would follow. Some interesting focus group findings were shared at the JfI meeting that I would like to share with you all at some point. Mostly, the JfI meetings don't feel like a good fit for us (in my opinion) because they are SO diocesan and parish-focused, and that's just not our thing. Our contributions to these meetings are quite limited.
This afternoon I sat in on ANOTHER Christian Peace Witness for Iraq phone call. These calls seem to happen every day. (Not true, but it feels that way.) It was raised that maybe, MAYBE, with so many folks optimistic about Obama and wanting to just be HAPPY for a while, that trying to gather a "protest" group in April is just not going to work. We had lots of conversation about why the group is trying to do this, the prophetic call to keep peacemaking out there. (I mostly listen. Seriously, I say about three words during these calls.) I would like to talk out some of my thoughts about all this, as I am feeling unsettled about the whole thing.
And NOW, I'm off to the NETWORK office for a li'l gathering with Mark Linton, the 13-year old Catholic liaison with Obama. (Oh, okay, fine, he's, what' 27? 28 years old?) He and Josh Dubois, another Obama staffer, are probably going to be the White House religious guys. We'll see how this goes. Pray I don't say anything too snarky.
No comments:
Post a Comment