The Maryknoll Global Concerns office provides analysis and advocacy on issues related to justice, peace and the integrity of creation on behalf of the Maryknoll Fathers & Brothers, Maryknoll Sisters and Maryknoll Lay Missioners.
Friday, May 22, 2009
President Obama's Speech on Torture
Yesterday I had the great pleasure of hearing President Obama's speech in person at the National Archives. There were about 100 people there, including Secretaries Clinton, Gates, Napolitano, Attorney General Holder, CIA Director Panetta. The setting was very powerful, with the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence surrounding the group. President Obama was clear and strong in his presentation - the talk was a long one and very carefully crafted. I was impressed - his agruments were convincing and he was very insistent that he would close Guantanamo and that the US would not torture. The areas that concerned me have been well covered by others, though in general I am willing to see what happens. I appreciated his commitment to oversight and to working through with Congress and the Justice Department the complex legal challenges presented by the aftermath of Bush Administration policies. I am not convinced abou the need for military commissions - even reformed ones. I think we should prosecute and put on trial former officials responsible for torture policies. The discussion will go on, but the experinece of being ten feet from President and of hearing him in person give such a powerful speech was quite amazing.
Labels:
archives,
Constitution,
Obama,
torture
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment