Friday, October 22, 2010

Meg's update: Oct. 13th: Women's Leadership Summit

Won Buddhist Center at the United Nations held it lst Annual Women's Summit, featuring speakers from MDG Campaign, UNFPA, UN Foundation, Religions for Peace. Updates on activities engaged in covered: successes made in children's education on primary level was noted, but women and children's health issues remain a challenge globally. Lack of political will among governments in attacking gender equality in the life cycle of women and children continues to be a deterrent to sustained progress. Awards were given to five outstanding women for their life-long contributions to human development. Ms.Masami Saionji, World Peace Society; Beverely Sheftall, Higher Education; Jude Currivan, Planetary Healer, Mary Robinson,
Ethical Global Initiative; Thoraya Obaid, UNFPA. A panel of four women, from interfaith traditions, spoke on the tenets of their belief system. Sharon Salzberg on Buddhism; Nurah Amat'ullah, Islam; Rajinderjit Singh, Sikh. I spoke from our Christian belief that Christ came, in love, to teach us how to be fully human. I concluded with a verse, applicable to all traditions.
"I am a hole in the flute, through which Christ breaths. Listen to the music".

No comments: