Hi Everyone,
Despite suspicions to the contrary, I haven't been avoiding this blog...just needed mental space to sort out the last 3 months. You'll have already read about the UNGASS in June, but in July-August I attended the International AIDS Conference in Mexico, preceeded by the Ecumenical Pre-Conference (where I also co-facilitated a workshop on Advocacy w/a Lutheran colleague). Dee Smith, Scott Harris (photo to left), Rick Bauer, Debbie Northern and Joe Fedora were there as well. The pre-conference lacked a Catholic presence in the planning and presentations, although we were well represented in the general attendance. A few of us met for an evaluation meeting right afterwards, and came to the conclusions that we needed a) deeper and more systematic theological and pastoral reflection; b) more awareness by others of the incredible and extensive work that has been and is ongoing by the Catholic Church on the ground; and c) a better way to network among ourselves. So, a global Catholic AIDS Network has been proposed, and before I even knew it was "official", there was an article in the L'Osservatore Romano!! So, we'll see what happens next
The International Conference (IAC) drew 24,000 people, was overwhelming and a great place to network! I spent most of my time on advocacy tasks, either at the Ecumenical Advocacy Exhibit or at the Interfaith Exhibit or working on Pharmaceutical issues. There is a ton of detail around the conference, although a couple of us were wondering if it is worth attending these. Just a point of fact: this is the 17th international conference, and only the 3rd to be held in the Global South (South Africa and Thailand). Circumcision as a prevention tool, the vital link between prevention and treatment, new medicines, gender issues, and youth were some of the issues that were highlighted...to be honest, there were hundreds of issues, and everyone (finally) was represented although Asia had very few people and presentations, and Africa fewer than in the past (financial reasons?). Also, many Africans whom I heard from felt a bit left out since the focus was very strong on excluded and vulnerable communities (MSM, sex workers, transgendered persons, people who use drugs). Part of that was that many groups in Mexico are focusing on homophobia and AIDS services; also, at the UNGASS, there was a strong inclusion of excluded groups, and it was a natural follow-up to have this representation at the IAC.
It was fun being in Mexico City, but I must admit to seeing very little that was "cultural", although we were invited by the Catholics on the local Faith Based hospitality committee to an evening of food and entertainment, ALL of which was provided (purchased, prepared and graciously served outside under tents by local parishioners!!)...it was as close to local "culture" as most of the conference folks would ever see!. I stayed at the apartment that Kathy and Javier Vargas' son has in Mexico City, so at least had to be out in a neighborhood for the short walk to the metrobus or taxi - even made it to the local grocery store one evening! And, one highlight was running into a close friend from my team in Peru...neither expected to see the other, it was a glorious visit!
I also attended the Southeastern Conference of Catholic AIDS Ministers (SECCAM) in Atlanta. This is the first such conference on a regional level, now that NCAN is gone, and while the focus was regional, we reported on the International Conferences, and looked at Global AIDS. One result is that I'm getting calls from college students who were there, asking for resources, talks, contacts, prayer cards, etc. - it's so heartening to have the students on board.
So, before I see you all, I hope to have a report out to Maryknollers in the field, as well as the paper totally off my desk (as in stacks, piles and confusion!). See you all soon ..
Despite suspicions to the contrary, I haven't been avoiding this blog...just needed mental space to sort out the last 3 months. You'll have already read about the UNGASS in June, but in July-August I attended the International AIDS Conference in Mexico, preceeded by the Ecumenical Pre-Conference (where I also co-facilitated a workshop on Advocacy w/a Lutheran colleague). Dee Smith, Scott Harris (photo to left), Rick Bauer, Debbie Northern and Joe Fedora were there as well. The pre-conference lacked a Catholic presence in the planning and presentations, although we were well represented in the general attendance. A few of us met for an evaluation meeting right afterwards, and came to the conclusions that we needed a) deeper and more systematic theological and pastoral reflection; b) more awareness by others of the incredible and extensive work that has been and is ongoing by the Catholic Church on the ground; and c) a better way to network among ourselves. So, a global Catholic AIDS Network has been proposed, and before I even knew it was "official", there was an article in the L'Osservatore Romano!! So, we'll see what happens next
The International Conference (IAC) drew 24,000 people, was overwhelming and a great place to network! I spent most of my time on advocacy tasks, either at the Ecumenical Advocacy Exhibit or at the Interfaith Exhibit or working on Pharmaceutical issues. There is a ton of detail around the conference, although a couple of us were wondering if it is worth attending these. Just a point of fact: this is the 17th international conference, and only the 3rd to be held in the Global South (South Africa and Thailand). Circumcision as a prevention tool, the vital link between prevention and treatment, new medicines, gender issues, and youth were some of the issues that were highlighted...to be honest, there were hundreds of issues, and everyone (finally) was represented although Asia had very few people and presentations, and Africa fewer than in the past (financial reasons?). Also, many Africans whom I heard from felt a bit left out since the focus was very strong on excluded and vulnerable communities (MSM, sex workers, transgendered persons, people who use drugs). Part of that was that many groups in Mexico are focusing on homophobia and AIDS services; also, at the UNGASS, there was a strong inclusion of excluded groups, and it was a natural follow-up to have this representation at the IAC.
It was fun being in Mexico City, but I must admit to seeing very little that was "cultural", although we were invited by the Catholics on the local Faith Based hospitality committee to an evening of food and entertainment, ALL of which was provided (purchased, prepared and graciously served outside under tents by local parishioners!!)...it was as close to local "culture" as most of the conference folks would ever see!. I stayed at the apartment that Kathy and Javier Vargas' son has in Mexico City, so at least had to be out in a neighborhood for the short walk to the metrobus or taxi - even made it to the local grocery store one evening! And, one highlight was running into a close friend from my team in Peru...neither expected to see the other, it was a glorious visit!
I also attended the Southeastern Conference of Catholic AIDS Ministers (SECCAM) in Atlanta. This is the first such conference on a regional level, now that NCAN is gone, and while the focus was regional, we reported on the International Conferences, and looked at Global AIDS. One result is that I'm getting calls from college students who were there, asking for resources, talks, contacts, prayer cards, etc. - it's so heartening to have the students on board.
So, before I see you all, I hope to have a report out to Maryknollers in the field, as well as the paper totally off my desk (as in stacks, piles and confusion!). See you all soon ..
No comments:
Post a Comment