Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Justice for Immigrants 2/13/08

The USCCB's Justice for Immigrants program had its meeting today; they cancelled the face-to-face meeting and held it by phone. I'm not sure how much we're able to connect with this project, since it is primarily diocesan-based, and their analysis and advocacy is generated by the USCCB, CLINIC and CRS ... ie, they're not necessarily looking for other input. What we can share are our own resources.

They are attempting to "grow" their list, though; it's not very big right now. The program is active in less than half the dioceses in the country. They're also very concerned about language, and realize it's still pretty challenging to get "regular" Catholics to accept the bishops' position on immigration reform.

I did not contribute much, though I said I'd share some of our reflections from our border trip to the J for I website (an internal site that only members can see.)

No comments: