Wednesday, February 13 and Thursday, February 14, I traveled to St. Michael's Edmundite College in Vermont to talk about the 2008 Maryknoll Election Project. In spite of a canceled flight I made it just in time to the event planned and sponsored by Global Studies, Political Science and the Peace and Jutcie Program. Over 100 students, faculty and local people attended. There was a lively discussion after my talk "loving our neighbors in a shrinking world," about the elections and the impacts that U.S. policies have on people all over the world.
While there I spoke to one first year Peace and Justice class, I met with the Vermont Global Health Coaltion at St. Michael's which is also struggling with hammering out their position on the latest version of PEPFAR. I also met with a few faculty members including MaryBeth Christie who used to work with Maryknoll media.
Before the event I was also interviewed on Vermont Public Radio. I have the podcast if anyone is interested. The short interview with me was sandwiched in between the news of Vermont's salt reserves being low in the face of heavy winter storms and Senator Bernie Sanders complaining that it was hard for a freshman senator to get anything done.
I received some feedback from St Michael's. The presentation was well-received by students but they wanted me to talk in my own voice -- instead I talked about Maryknollers in general.
No comments:
Post a Comment