Tomorrow I'll be the chair of the Religious at the UN meeting at the ICO. Three colleagues will do a presentation on Africa. I'll do the prayer - will do it around the Gospel of the Day (Jonas in the Whale!!!) and a good description from Julia Shideler regarding East Timor as second reading. Hopefully I'll be able to make the connection. Here's a wee part of Julia's letter.
"You might have heard or read in the news that someone attempted to assassinate President José Ramos-Horta yesterday at his house in Dili. The men who shot him, wounding him badly, had been invited by Ramos-Horta to dialogue with him about some unresolved grievances that surfaced within the military two years ago. The man who attempted to kill him, Alfredo Reinado, was regarded as a hero by many people and a renegade general by others—expressing dissent in unlawful ways. He, and the “petitioners” he represents, has been a big political issue in East Timor…now things have changed a lot. Instead of killing Ramos-Horta, they killed his body-guard. Another guard shot back and killed Alfredo and one of his comrades. Now the President is being treated at a hospital in Australia and Alfredo is in the morgue. The result is unrest…I don’t know how else to describe it.
No comments:
Post a Comment