Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Marie on Tuesday Feb 12

The last few days have been interesting, between
  • negotiations about whether the elections project will get out on the Maryknoll airwaves and figuring out how to respond to callers unhappy with Maryknoll's involvement in the elections (though many, many more are delighted with "loving Our Neighbor in a Shrinking World")
  • trying to find a way to respond to the visit of President Bush and Laura Bush to Mary Vertucci's Emusoi Center in Arusha, Tanzania next week (Good Morning America will be on live from there on Monday, Feb 18)
  • figuring out with Susan and Kathy how to respond (again) to the PEPFAR authorization bill draft
  • plowing through the paperwork to set up a checking account for MOGC
  • planning the visit of Jesus and Phil to San Francisco and Washington in April
  • negotiating with US Capitol Police for a permit for the interfaith prayer for peace in March and planning a cd action that day on Capitol Hill
  • planning a workshop on the national "security" budget for EAD Peace and Global Security Track
I think the elections project is going really well. I am especially excited about the good response from Maryknollers willing to write homily helps and from people all over the place ordering copies of the election guide.

President Bush's visit to Emusoi in Arusha and the Maryknoll Sisters' house there is a huge compliment to Mary Vertucci and all there. It also is an incredible challenge and opportunity: how to avoid being "used" by the Administration to create their positive legacy while at the same time acknowledging that they have done some good things in Africa; how to use the opportunity to say a word or two of challenge - eg, about AFRICOM and the growing US military presence in Africa or about debt cancellation or about climate change/global warming or about the US failure to ratify the Convention on the rights of the Child (and 100 other international agreements)

Kathy and Susan have been excellent on the PEPFAR question. We are definitely under the microscope of the USCCB because they are afraid that PEPFAR money will not be available to groups that will not distribute condoms and they were not happy that we signed a letter in support of the PEPFAR authorization legislation. I think we could write another letter to the authorizing committee saying that grants should be given without prejudice.

Sometimes the most mundane tasks take forever. If we ever get a checking account set up I think it will make our lives easier in many ways and streamline our financial process, but it's not easy! Finally Doug Calvin came today to post all the Newsnotes articles on our website in the propoer sections. It was a huge job and I cannot wait to see it done!

The opportunity presented by the award that Jesus will receive is great. We are checking into the availability of a room on the House side of Capitol Hill for a breakfast - should be fun. Phil Dahl-Bredine's and Steve Hicken's book is really excellent - and perfectly times. Now all we have to do is get people there!

I do not know why I ever agree to do things like negotiate permits - probably because I am unable to say "no" to people I respect (like Rabbi Arthur Waskow). This time at least I don;t think there will be a huge debate with the authorities, though we have not yet approached the DC Police. We need to end this war so we can do other things.

I am excited about the overall theme for Ecumenical Advocacy Days on "true security." It really is the theme we have been trying to jumpstart for a few years. Dave is much more deeply involved than I am - I think it's worth doing, even if few Affiliates are coming. I did ask Fred Goddard and he said he might come to part of it.

On the down side, I spent a few days of utter frustration last week because I feel so inadequate in terms of Africa. (Not new!!) I went to the ADNA (Advocacy Network on Africa) meeting when they were discussing how to re-energize the group - I think some good ideas were shared. The Washington Office on Africa has (at least temporarily) closed it's doors, which is sad - but Africa Faith and Justice Network, Africa Action and others are going strong. What I need is time and another head!

My Lenten reading includes Albert Nolan's old book (Jesus Before Christianity) in preparation for reading his new (Jesus Today) book -- I am enjoying it. I likes The Catholic Vote a lot more than I expected to ... and the book I am loving is Northcott's A Moral Climate.

Did I pass my first blog test?

Marie

No comments: