Wednesday, January 7, 2009

dc residents supporting alternative economies

I went to a meeting last night, hosted by ecolocity dc, about alternative currency and time banking. While these ideas have caught on to a greater extent in the UK, there are local examples of both- including Anacostia Hours and the National Association of Youth Courts. These alternative solutions to claiming value and supporting local economy's self-sufficiency were totally inspiring. Alternative currency can keep value within a local economy, support entrepreneurs and innovators, and jump over economic hurtles such as minimum wage. Time Banking honors human systems that fall outside of the market economy. Both systems invite individuals into cooperative and creative participation with their communities.

Ecolocity is starting a transition initiative within DC. I'm entirely on fire with enthusiasm- and totally eager to follow this group's activities. They spoke about a DC zoning working group on sustainability. This group has only two meetings left within their series. I am curious to find out what they have learned. I am increasingly interested in addressing the obstacles to sustainable design on a small/ local level.

No comments: