I met today with Mr. Brian Willis, Director of Global Health, a network of dedicated people working on human trafficking issues. Brian's objective is to set up three drop-in centers for children whose mothers are engaged in prostitution; the intention being to provide for these children loving support, basic education and ongoing protection. The centers being planned would be in Nepal. Brian learned of the Miriam Center for Migrant Workers & Children, in South Korea, started by our Maryknoll Sisters there; he felt this could be a model for his future plans.
I also suggested the work of the Good Shepherds Congregation and their outstanding work in Thailand as another source of reference. I have sent materials on both of these projects to him.
The relationship between prostitution and human trafficking is a given, and the more we can cooperate in projects, share information, encourage pro-active involvement, the sooner can be seen a lessening of this horrific local and global problem.
No comments:
Post a Comment